Tuesday, March 04, 2008

life as musical

Nancy White asks the question: Is a fully lived life a musical? Probably, but without me doing any singing. I make occasional references to music on this blog (which probably baffle 90% of my readers as the references are very specific and localised). If I can work it out with Johnnie and Rob, there may be an episode of The Phoric about this.

If there is one area of the world where I am part of the dominant elite, it is language. I can do stuff. With words. Like. And yet I crave experiences that exceed and overwhelm the resources of language. Physical stuff like hanging from a trapeze. Or listening to music. Music hotwires our emotional machinery, joyrides around our dreams. As an atheist (tho brung up a believer, baby), it is my last connection to the divine.

Many musicians talk about music as salvation. I don't want to be saved for eternity - I just want to be here and not here in the now. And music grants that paradoxical wish. Thank you.

1 comment:

Nancy White said...

I'll be waiting to hear the soundtrack....

waving

N