Wednesday, November 05, 2008

the strategic question for knowledge managers

This throw-away post seems to be still generating more heat than a forest fire.

The challenge I (and my colleagues) faced as knowledge managers was getting beyond the "oh, you look after databases" dismissiveness of staff, managers, execs, etc*. It wasn't that we didn't want to focus on strategic issues (well, some were happier hiding away but I think they were in the minority) but that getting the opportunity to tackle them is harder than just walking into the CEO's office and saying: "Hey I'm going to solve your strategic problems for you".

I can remember sitting in meetings where we were talking about workforce change, systemic organisational risk, improved performance for a group of workers and we'd get asked for some minor changes to be made to a web site. Occasionally an issue would erupt that would give us some traction, some leverage with someone we already had a relationship with (possibly because we'd edited their web page for them). And then we'd run as far as we could with it. And then there would be a pause. N.B. Simply showing how our KM activities aligned with the corporate strategy didn't really differentiate us because that's what everyone does. Saying you support the corporate strategy is like saying your in favour of "good stuff" (motherhood, apple pie) rather than "bad stuff" (war, famine).

So you readers out there (all 3 of you). Can you give an example of a game-changing moment that you have had? A moment where you saw an opportunity and went for it?

*A core quality of a successful knowledge manager is sheer bloody-mindedness.

Now if I can get through this without accusing anyone's mother of darning socks in Hull, we may get an interesting discussion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This isn't a game-changing KM moment as such. But it broke a stale-mate that allowed me to meet my objectives in the end.

I was a project manager, I needed to build on the work of particular IT team (spatial info actually). Unfortunately they repeatedly failed to deliver and were poised to do it again.

I walked into my GM's office when a restructure was brewing and said "Don't do it like that, let me manage this team." It was a vacuum that I put my hand up to fill. My Exec were prepared to throw me this one from the too-hard-basket, seeing as I was silly enough to ask for it.

I got the team delivering within 12 months and internal support went up massively. I also got the KM (and admittedly IM) goals met as a result.

So totally relate to the "we've got massive problems so could you please fix the website". I have no doubt that results in talented people choosing to drop the "knowledge" in their title and become "managers".