Monday, January 19, 2009

soap tantrums

Jesus, Heidi, that's a really ugly jacket you've got there. I mean the a guy that wears that kind of jacket is probably a woman-bashing closet alko or something. Of course the jacket "smells good", he had to get the blood and puke dry-cleaned off it. You're better off staying away from him.

I think the video is actually quite cute*. I'd like to see the narrative progress. Possibly Heidi finds herself at sauna, where she glances across and sees her mystery man exit without his trousers. Which she lovingly retrieves - and places on the shrine in her laundry. And then maybe a pair of shoes and a shirt or two (one business, one casual). The series of videos climaxes with her breaking into his apartment while she continually repeats "I'm not a stalker". We get to see the interior of his wardrobe and then we cut to a Misery-like scene where Heidi has her man** in his jacket at last - bound, gagged (maybe hobbled): "Jonathan, oh my precious Jonathan, my handsome jacketed knight, I'll have you safe forever..."

Over the weekend, the missus reminded me that soap operas started off as ads for cleaning products - with little moments of drama in between. Over 50 years, they developed into shows such as The Sopranos, Mad Men, etc - i.e. some of the finest cultural products of our time. I dunno whether these YouTube videos will have achieved something similar by 2060.

*SHM disagrees, possibly because they were caught out.
**Possibly played by Jonathan Pease himself.

No comments: