Saturday, June 06, 2009

dr cool hits delete

I'm a fair man.

Actually that's not true. I'm a viciously unfair man.

So when Adam "Dr Cool" Ferrier posted his Facebook quiz, I could not resist. Adam's research is probably sound and his writing is not stupid (but it does tend towards the schoolmasterish - "I've outlined the 4Ps of Marketing as applied to this instance..."). I asked him what the foundations (who, when, where) for his cool research were. And he didn't fess up. So I asked him again. I asked him so many times that he deleted one of the comments. As you can see, oh hang on, you can't because it's deleted. So I guess we'll never know.

Incidentally, putting your research out as a quiz on Facebook is a darned-sight more effective than publishing it in an academic journal. But if you claim that your results are based in research and then complain when people take you seriously and ask for the evidence underlying your research - well that is a bit disingenuous. And frankly: uncool.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a few problems with the ambiguity of the wording of Dr Cool’s questions

It's best to try new things only after they're proven safe
Testing a new rubber by bungy jumping with it is not cool

I believe I have complete control of my life
Are Buddhists not cool?

People say I am very modest
I rarely hear anyone described as modest (maybe I only associate with ubermensch) and wouldn’t a positive response invalidate itself?

I like people
Intelligent misanthropists like Schopenhauer aren’t cool?

I think some of the questions are a little obvious. Even without knowing the four aspects of cool, it wouldn’t be difficult to get 100% dishonestly. With Mr. Ferrier’s formidable grasp of psychology, I was expecting more nuanced questions along the lines of Myers-Briggs.

Matt M said...

Oscar - It is a Facebook survey rather than an instrument like MBTI and Buddhists are only cool in their alignment with 5 categories.

I am actually tempted to lobby my former HR dept to replace MBTI tests (Or it may have been DISC) with "Which Buffy character are you?"

"I think need to hire 30% more Xanders in the next quarter, but look at getting rid of our more bothersome Spikes"

Adam Ferrier said...

Mr Returnon, I too agree with Matt The MBTI is not accepted as credible in the scientific realm as it's only ever really used in private practice. I would suggest buying a copy of my board game 'The Analyst' instead (lots of questions like 'which butterfy are you'. The science of the MBTI is used purely for commercial purposes - it's not in the public domain(which goes against Poppers principles of science - ie its for the public (not a corporations)wealfare.

As for the cool quiz? It's a Facebook application guys!

Matt M said...

Adam (assuming it is your good self) - yeah MBTI has been heavily criticised for its lack of scientific basis (and nicking bits of Jung doesn't count as science). Altho as with many things that may not be true, it's not useless.

lots of questions like 'which butterfly are you'

Is the emotionally disturbed entomologist market really that big?

As for the cool quiz? It's a Facebook application guys!

And if you'd said "I made this stuff up over the weekend after a sherry-fuelled canasta binge", no one could criticise you. But it seems like you want to have your cake and eat it.

Anyway, more important things to post about. It's Man Week dontcha know...