Friday, April 27, 2007

Words & Meaning (4): Passion

Patrick Lambe blogs about passion - or what passes for it these days.

Why do people say they are "passionate"? It seems mere competence isn't enough. Do I want a passionate airline pilot or competent one? "I can't fly this baby for **** but god I love wearing this uniform!!!"

So I think some of it comes down to trust & measurement. As the things people do become less tangible, we find it harder to judge their competence. But if they're passionate, well, we can just see the passion bursting across their faces in paralytic spasms. They must be good!!!

Plus if people actually want to do their jobs you can pay them less to do them - no matter how much junk you hit them with. Intrinsic motivation in employees, customers or partners is great because you as a manager/supplier have to do less work yourself.

So we say we want "passion". And people tell us they have what we want. Of course, both sides in this tawdry transaction could be lying. Is passion actually really truly like drugs?

Punter: "You got some stuff?" (Translation: "This activity scares me the heck out of me but I'm trying to look cool in front of my friends - esp. the cute chick on the left who thinks I got my appendectomy scar in a gang fight. I'd rather be at home having a bath right now.")
Pusher: "Yeah, I got some good stuff" (Translation: "I have some headache tablets I crushed with my shoe. I will sell you these at 10 times their actual value. This street corner is cold, windy & dangerous. I'd rather be at home having a bath right now.")

Where is Barry White when you need him?

1 comment:

Patrick Lambe said...

You promised me a retort and gave a nice spin instead... good to see you blogging again!

Patrick