Friday, November 21, 2008

the banality of wisdom

Nerida sent out a link to this. I'm still processing it but I kinda feel ambiguous when I saw the trailer. We have a lot of famous people, most of whom are quite old. They mostly say sensible stuff. And sometimes they say it in quite a charming or poignant way.

But it's rarely stuff that you haven't heard before. But that's the thing about wisdom. Most of it is not new (that doesn't make it easy do). So we are left with people who have done wise and unwise things and who may (or may not) be wise in some respects. But whilst I'm sure they can entertain, I'm not sure that they can enlighten. We can enjoy the cinematography and nod sagely but are we any the wiser?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Matt, I saw this exhibition while I was in Sydney and the cinematography was good, albeit the display was confusing. You had to match the picture to a number and trace that number on the walls where the text was displayed. Not fun.

I think you're pondering over the semantics and not the opportunity to learn and possibly become wiser.

I valued the experience because I could learn different ways to see the world, pretty quick. It takes us a while to form our view of what's important in life and there's people who've already formed that view and are sharing it. It makes you think and that's what's valuable.

PS: Nobody can enlighten you, they can just trigger thoughts that you might find enlightening. Just my two cents.

Matt M said...

Hello Chandni - So I'm curious, what did you learn from the exhibition? What did it trigger in you? Cheers Matt