Friday, September 16, 2005

Speed Limits

Went down to Melbourne last weekend to see a friend. He and his partner very kindly took me to the Slow Festival at Melbourne. Apart from gorging ourselves on fantastic food, I had a chat to Carl Honore. This was highly opportune as I have been thinking a great deal about speed limits. Just because tech allows us to move fast, that doesn't mean we always should. As Shawn said to me: The default exchange in business these days is "How are you?" "Oh, really busy. And you?" "Yeah, flat out". If we aren't busy then some how we've failed. Now, knowing the right speed to go at is crucial and yet we never talk about it. Go figure...

BTW I am aware that this post contains some name-dropping - but I'm very lucky in that I get to meet cool people pretty much every day. How fantastic is that?

No comments: