Thursday, July 13, 2006

Happiness

Simon Reynolds points to an article on happiness studies in the New Yorker. And a Princeton study tells us that Happiness & Money are not linked.

I think most people pursue cash for reasons other than the pursuit of happiness. We are not hard-wired by evolution to be happy but to survive & reproduce. These activities involve competition for status & resources. I don't think we can ever escape that.

As for happiness, as Darrin McMahon observes, the expectation that we have a right to be happy is a comparatively recent one.

What does this mean for organisations? Should they spend time trying to ensure that their employees are happy?

2 comments:

Nimmy said...

One of my favourite topics, this. Some people wear T-shirts that say "I was born intelligent. Education ruined me". Well, it's similar, I believe, to being born happy but the social and economic pressures ruining us. Many Indian mystics have dwelt upon this topic and proved that it's possible to be simply happy without chasing money, status, fame et al! Happiness is, I think, closely related to intrinsic motivation and creativity....
Oh, there's lot to think about on this topic but I ought not to dive into a spiritual discussion without knowing whether that is what you're asking for... :)

Matt Moore said...

Nimmy - feel free to get spiritual if you want to. I think happiness is very closely related to intrinsic motivators - and attitudes. We might occasionally require extrinsic help to get there tho...