Monday, September 03, 2007

Do as you would be done by

I was having a conversation with someone I like & respect at the last NSW KM Forum*. He was thinking about starting a blog (for the 3rd time). We talked briefly about his ideas regarding scope of said blog but as we talked, I thought about this post by Stephen Collins. His wife has a blog (it's good - click on that link now). But she needs to get out more.

On this blog, I am a writer. I write because I want to & to an extent because I have to. It makes me a happier person. And far less annoying & prone to acts of random violence to those around me. Whether it does the same for you or not ain't my problem. However I also want people to read this. If only because comments & intelligent responses on the blogs of others makes life more interesting and prods my own idea glands into sluggish action.

And what I have found is that if I want others to read & comment on my work, I must do the same for them. I have to do what I want others to do. I have to "give it up & turn it loose". This is the critical lesson I would share with all would-be bloggers - "ask not what the blogosphere can do for you but what you can do for the blogosphere". What most writers crave is an engaged reader. Be that engaged reader for them and they may do the same for you.

The thing is you can't fake it. None of this "Hey, I see that you love cheese! I love sub-atomic physics! Visit my blog!" You have to genuinely engage with them. Be a reader first & foremost and you will never be short of readers.

*Which isn't giving too much away because I like & respect most of the people that show up.

No comments: