Saturday, June 16, 2007

Peers & superiors

The title of this post by Tammy Erickson in my feedreader led me to expect a standard guide to ass-kissing. Instead she talks about something much more interesting - a shift from impressing your boss to working with your peers and building P2P networks. I am not sure whether this is the case yet (or ever will be). I still hear about lots of ass-kissing going on (and even engage in it myself from time to time). And 360-degree feedback programs (an existing form of peer review) have had a mixed history.

Being an egalitarian sort of bloke (I only despise you if you are black, white, brown, yellow, male, female, gay, straight or like roller skating), I hope Tammy is right. However I don't necessarily agree that P2P networks are always hierarchy-free or optimal. Like all crowd-based activities, they can be subject to gaming & politics unless certain safe-guards are in place (diversity of opinion, independence, decentralization, aggregation).

No comments: