Tuesday, May 13, 2008

washington - storytelling weekend - golden fleece

So the Golden Fleece Storytelling conference takes place in Chevy Chase*, Maryland - just north of DC. I'm navigating while Prof. Golden is driving the small rental car through driving rain from Reagan National Airport. We make it in enough time to see Kelly Cresap open show.
  • Cilian Fennell does a masterful presentation on the hero's journey as it relates to innovation. I think the Joseph Campbell stuff has been overused somewhat but it is hard not to warm to a session that included gorgeous pictures of the Irish landscape, parasitic biology, recent Irish economic history and the question: "What colour is the Gaelic language?"
  • Oran Sandel's session involves physical theatre and movement which normally I'm not adverse to. But for some reason I have a bit of block with it and hide in the coffee room. Oran's a good guy though.
  • I finally get to meet Victoria Ward from Sparknow. She presents with Ellen Collins from the MLA on this research. Love it. Especially the part about using stories to define the boundaries of "knowledge transfer" in this this context.
  • I am ashamed to admit that I have to leave Leif Josefsson's presentation on the Metafari to pass out from jetlag. Oh well.
  • Gerry Lantz & Deb Maher talked about Appreciative Inquiry - which is a positive way to end the day.

All in all, a fun day. There was a student film crew wandering around so I wonder if we'll see any outputs from that...

*I think Fletch was his finest hour - how about you?

No comments: