Thursday, May 07, 2009

grief

So I was talking to a tech-head who went green. She was into all this social software stuff - esp. virtual worlds / Second Life. And now she's into sustainability and permaculture. And she's had to give up heavy internet use as part of that - because all these massive server farms probably aren't sustainable. And giving that all that stuff has caused her some grief. I mean literal grief - a sense of profound loss.

This is important because all of us are going to have to go through at some stage in the future. We are going to have to give up a lot and most of us in the developed world really aren't prepared for that.

Think of this recession as a warm up, a test run for the future. How are you going to handle it? What are you going to do?

4 comments:

Tom said...

I think I'll look at it like smoking. As long as they don't stop making them, and I can have a crafty 2-3 a year when really pissed/the mood takes me, I can give anything up :)

And anyway, I haven't owned a car for pretty much 10 years, so I should get some slack... am I bargaining now?

Matt M said...

Yip

Unknown said...

Very good point, simply stated. Possibly a good follow up peice to that speech I gave on Tuesday. Which went very well by the way, thanks for your input.

Nimmy said...

I love the graph! Reminds me of my own post that I wrote sometime back...not as well-articulated though.