Thursday, May 14, 2009

way down in a hole


Thoughts triggered by watching The Wire: When I started in the world of work, I regularly assumed that everyone above me was competent and that decisions were made with the purpose of the organisation in mind. Admittedly I had grown up listening to my parents' complaints about incompetent colleagues & superiors but they were also keen for me to join a large, powerful organisation that offered a decent salary. There seemed no disconnect between these two positions.

Large organisations tend to be dysfunctional. It's not that they don't do what they're supposed to (and in The Wire that means pushing drugs or catching criminals), it's that they seem to achieve these goals in spite of of themselves. It's really all about individuals getting and retaining material wealth and power over others. We may tell ourselves that the "invisible hand" of the free market makes everything work fine or that some technocratic official knows best but these institutions seem to decrease in effectiveness as the money and effort that we pump into them increases. This can be corporations, government entities, not-for-profits, even entire industries (hello banking sector!).

Institutions both enable and constrain. In engaging with them as individuals we make a trade, I'm not sure how often that trade is worth making. Human institutions will always be flawed but is there a way out of "the game"?

3 comments:

Nimmy said...

Nice post, Matt. Something I've caught myself pondering over many a time. Ever since I first read about the "curse of growth". So, I am able to relate to it! I am beginning to believe that the result of the mess we are in....is largely due to our obsessive focus on growth. I have no answers to your question but I guess I do see a trend now wherein the world is going back to smaller "units of existence"...if you get my drift.

Matt M said...

Smaller units of existence? I think you may be right...

Brad H. said...

Matt,

You're absolutely right about organisations working for reasons other tha making "the best" decisions for the organisation. I have seen this in the political domain as well, as "political" solutions replace solutions that come from plain common sense.

Having observed and experienced these conflicting organisational and operational situations, I am of the view that we are wasting our time trying to optimise human and social capital under the banner of knowledge management.

We are banging our heads against brick walls - the brick walls of individual power and politics that inhabit all organisations.

Regards,
Brad