Wednesday, August 06, 2008

collaboration open space

So in the comments on the Open Publish post, Michael Sampson pulls me up. We were all talking about the human aspects of collaboration weren't we? I'd disagree. We were still talking about the human aspects of collaboration technologies. Which given the audience at OP is not necessarily a problem. But where in the environment for IT folks & KM folks & HR people & internal comms dudes & facilitators & suchlike. And even regular ordinary workers?

I'm not sure there is anywhere (please feel free to prove me wrong).

So I want to run an Open Space event around "collaboration". Only we probably won't use that term as such. Suggestions for a better one please. I dunno whether this will be 20 people in a church hall or 1000 people at the exhibition centre. You tell me.

I'll need the following:
  • Volunteers/helpers/collaborators from different disciplines.
  • Sponsors. I ain't gonna make any money out of this but if we want a big location then it's gonna cost $20-30k.
  • And you. Yes, you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count me in and I'd be happy to contribute some sponsorship $s as well.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree that we were all talking about the use of collaboration *tools*, not the "real" collaboration that happens between humans (face-to-face or otherwise).

I did have one slide on this at the end of my presentation, but that hardly counts! :-)

Very happy to participate in an "open space" discussion, and to be involved in making this happen.

(One of our new starters will have a very strong focus on collaboration, coming from the people side of things. Depending on the timing of your event, they may be able to participate.)

PS. I have talked on the people side of collaboration

Cheers, James

Unknown said...

Well this makes for interesting times Matt. Put me down as a collaborator.

M.

James Dellow said...

Matt - Count me in too. If you like, I'm sure the NSW KM Forum would be happy to co-host this collaboration open space with you - our meetings don't have to be death by PPT ;-)

Corza said...

My hand is up. Can you see my hand up? I can see my hand up.

Unknown said...

great idea Matt - might just do something like that here in Dubai - sadly our budget here cannot extend to a first class return airfare for you to facilitate it!! Perhaps I could buy you a beer instead next time we meet?

Anonymous said...

Matt,

We've talked about these cross-"disciplinary" issues before so I am all for it.

Regards,
Brad

Unknown said...

I'll be there if I can.

Anonymous said...

sounds good Matt
hope to generate some interest for you

Gavin Heaton said...

Happy to join in. Sounds like you are voicing the concerns that many orgs struggle with.