Monday, February 23, 2009

be frustrated

I've been pondering innovation (which is invention + entrepreneurship) for a while now. It strikes me that innovators are frustrated consumers. They want something. It is not there. And rather than just shrug and say "oh well", they decide to do something about it. Innovators differ from the rest of us in that:
  • They are willing to act on their frustrations.
  • They have the capability to get a result when they do act.
Which means that if we want to be innovative we should cultivate our frustrations rather than ignore them. In fact we should actively seek out frustrating experiences. This is very difficult for me because I was raised with the "mustn't grumble" mentality where you made do with what you got. But I am slowly changing.

When were you frustrated today?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think frustrated "consumers" (be they internal or external stakeholders) are one important source of innovation. And maybe even a vital ingredient in all successful innovation.

However, it's not the whole story. The frustration also needs to be matched with skills to deliver a solution. Consumers often don't have these skills and the organisation (or part of it) need to supply this side of the equation.

What do you think Matt?

Matt M said...

Andrew - I absolutely agree - which is why I made the comments about the willingness to act and the capacity to be effective when you do which I equate your "skills to deliver a solution".

I suppose my point is that those of us who want to innovate need to take on that "frustrated consumer" mindset. Some of that involves listening and some of that involves being alert to our own feelings.

It also implies a quite inhuman openness to criticism. "Tell me what went wrong today" doesn't give you the warm & fuzzies but it is an important question.

Unknown said...

Sorry I skipped over your point about capacity. I agree that feeling the frustration (both your own and empathetically in others) can supply energy from action.

"Tell me what went wrong today" - what a great question.