Wednesday, March 04, 2009

story challenge: rip kungler responds

Rip Kungler responded to my challenge to his honour on the CSTC list regarding the story competition with this digital poem.

I love Rip's work*: Large Toys Make Indulgent Baggage


*The mix of violence, decadence and innocence in Rip's images reminds of that time in Bangkok when I was kidnapped by an under-age tuk-tuk driver who mistook me for George Harrison's nephew. I was in town trying to pitch my edgy "reimagining" of "The Waltons" to a Thai national broadcaster. We were going to play up the hillbilly angle as I recall but not to Deliverance levels obviously, this had to be a family show. They were "onboard" (to use the industry jargon) if we could set it in a little village not far from Chang Rai. They wanted glamour. And monks, lots & lots of monks. This proved to be a sticking point as we had a provisional deal with Matt Le Blanc to play Pa Walton. It is a little-known fact that MLB (as he is known in the industry) has (due to his Irish Catholic ancestry) a morbid fear of the colour orange. He also suffered from aloplecia as a child and finds it traumatic to work with the bald. Negotiations broke down during a teleconference when MLB's agent suggested that the monk's robes should be dyed green & that they be provided with matching wigs. Apparently the Land of Smiles is not yet ready for punk monks. The attempted kidnapping was the last straw. My left knee still aches on humid summer nights and the enraged face of my would-be kidnapper appears before my mind's eye at every ominous putt-putt of a 2-stroke engine.

People tell me that kind of thing happens quite a lot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is quality short story writing.There was not a piece of inauthenticity in it. It flows like the mind of a Buddhist in a state of unrest.