Sunday, March 01, 2009

story challenge - show me what cha got...

Here is a challenge. I am looking for people to write some stories for me. Why I am doing this is described below (as is the how)*. There will be a prize - I don't know what the prize is yet. That will become clear when the entries come in. The deadline is March 31st 2009.

Rules
  • Your story should be inspired by the 5 images represented below.
  • It should be less than 500 words (or 5 mins if you choose to use some audio format).
The stories will be judged by Victoria Ward. Jye Smith has already volunteered to participate. Who will take on the mighty JS???

Stories can be posted on a blog as text, audio or video or sent to me.

And now for the 5 images:


Source: crazytales562



Source: Southernpixel



Source: Potato Benevolence



Source: marymactavish



Source: Aine D

Avanti!

*I had been trying to set a Skype podcast with Victoria for the last few months. It wasn't working for either of us so we have taken to setting story-based challenges for each other in lieu of conversation. I was originally going to ask her to write the story but I thought it would be more fun if some of you did it & then got her to respond.

The method I chose for image selection was to ask 5 random people for a word. They were:
James Dellow: implications
Luke Naismith: help
Marcus Brown: lavatory
Ron Donaldson: trilobite
Nancy White: persnickity

Then I put the keywords into Flickr. Ta Da! Many thanks to the above 5 for their input!

3 comments:

Nancy White said...

Heh! Have you seen Alan Levine's (aka CogDog) 5 card flikr game? I wrote about it here: http://www.fullcirc.com/wp/2009/02/09/fabulous-cogdog-and-5-card-stories/

My first short story here: http://web.nmc.org/5cardstory/show.php?id=366

And all the details here
http://web.nmc.org/5cardstory/index.php

Matt M said...

Noice!!! The 5 object story idea goes back at least as far as Victorian times but I like the visual twist from Flickr...

Unknown said...

Digital poet, Rip Kungler offers a poem in the form of a story based on the images.

"Large toys make indulgent baggage"

Visit Rip's digital poetry site
http://digitalpoet.ning.com/
where he has used the same words but different images to create a reflection on the story.

An on-line visual digital conversation, known as a "visudig", is now underway.

"Visudig" has not yet entered the wikipaedia lexicon!