Tuesday, March 04, 2008

london

The city is blind but it will not slow down.

I lived in London for 4 years. It seems like a lifetime ago and I don't regret leaving. Lauren's experience is more immediate. She has her own triggers associated with that environment. But I see this and I remember what I loved about London.

London is an accelerator. Its immigrant communities from all over the world provide the raw energy. The bad weather and overcrowding intensify this until some form of fusion occurs (both in the senses of the productive and the devastating). I didn't grow there so I too was a blow-in. An extra. Part of the mutation.

More than any other modern city, London has a soundscape. You hear the city before you see it.

The city is blind but that just sharpens its sense of sound. It detects you as you move through it. An audioghost. A sonic hallucination.

Maybe I only existed when it deluded me into existence as a lost voice.

No comments: