Wednesday, April 16, 2008

podcast - nancy white & ed mitchell - blended facilitation

I had a blast recording this session with Nancy White & Ed Mitchell on "Blended Facilitation". It's a bit on the long side but I am loathe to cut it. We'll probably do another one and Mr Mitchell has requested "more structure".

Download the mp3 now.
  • 00:50 - Ed talks about doing a mix of online & offline facilitation with the Media Sandbox.
  • 04:00 - Nancy talks about 4 types of blending: Modalities (sight, sound, touch); Online/Offline; Individuals/Communities; Methods.
  • 06:00 - Nancy discusses Seeds of Compassion.
  • 09:50 - Matt mentions "extending the event horizon" & multi-modal poetry.
  • 13:00 - Online and/or Offline?
  • 15:30 - Ed's door intrusion leads to a discussion of Second Life.
  • 19:20 - Different strokes (or tools) or different folks - provided there are overlapping experience.
  • 22:30 - The thorny question of Generations (Y, X, Boomer) - going into broader diversity issues (e.g. participants from Africa with lo-bandwidth).
  • 26:50 - Mindfulness, feedback & signals - the ethics of sharing community data.
  • 30:10 - Facilitation + Manipulation = Facipulation.
  • 34:00 - The public, the private & ambient exposure. Where are the boundaries?
  • 38:50 - We hit the knotty question of identity
  • 39:40 - We lay into the culture of expertise.
  • 41:00 - I think we've all learnt a valuable lesson here, haven't we?
(It sounds like I'm cutting in & predicting what Ed & Nancy are saying but that's an artifact of the recording process, mostly - just shift my words back 10 seconds compared to Nancy & Ed)

4 comments:

Geoff Brown said...

G'day Matt

Will listen to this on my way into Geelong today. Nancy has made some comments on my new blog and her visual stuff has inspired me.

Will be in touch about another podcast b/w you, me and viv and near future.
Cheers
Geiff

Anonymous said...

Good work Matt! That was fun. Next time I will bring my horn, I promise :)

Jasmin Tragas said...

Matt this looks to be something worth listening to! I rarely make time to listen to podcasts (especially when people just natter on) but I might have to tune in for this recording. Still, I wish you would blog or tweet your highlights, or have a soundbyte to play for working mums like me :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt!

I'm a fellow Aussie living in the UK and preaching about all things engagement and collaboration.

The discussion certainly resonated with me, especially the topic of "blending" on-and-offline activities.

Give me a hoy if you want to chat about what's going on over here.

Michelle
http://twitter.com/mlyons