Monday, October 15, 2007

Where are you?

So I'm 8 or maybe 9 metres up. I've climbed there and my shoulders hurt, my thighs hurt, my arms hurt and I have a nasty blister on my right palm. I failed on the previous attempt and it's my last go. I'm hooked in. Told to stand with my toes over the edge of the platform. Grab the trapeze with my right hand. Wait. Then hold it with both hands. Wait.

Jump. Fall. Feel my body accelerate with gravity. Down. Up. Then when I reach the full extent of the arc, I swing my legs over the trapeze, hang from the back of my knees and arch my spine.

Where is he?

There. His hands on my arms. My hands on his arms. Free of the trapeze now. Hanging suspended. One. Two. Three. And fall. The net rushes up and I yell with joy.

For a novice, the rush is intense. You move far quicker than you expect. You don't know if they will be there or not. The chance of contact seems slim.

Welcome to the theatre of connection. Let me know if you require a safety net. Or a harness.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job Matt. Did you create this metaphor from personal experience?

Matt Moore said...

It's not so much a metaphor...