Thursday, January 31, 2008

don't look in my freezer

So I'm at the Comedy Store with some mates to see Gina Yashere and we end up in the front row. GY is very funny but you wouldn't cross her. Anyway for some reason she gets into her head that I am serial killer*. Probably because I was looking at her funny. I have been told before that I do that - look at people in an unnerving, calculating way. Not all the time, obviously, but sometimes. It's not something I am aware of. I think I'm trying to look thoughtful or like I'm paying attention. Turns out it looks like I'm considering whether they'd go well with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Ultimately we only have so much control over how others take us - the presentation of ourselves in everyday life. I wonder how concerned we should be. I don't want to end up practicing expressions in the mirror. Sorry.

*She also accused me of having a thing for ladyboys. Which is obviously absurd. I mean, obviously. Er...

2 comments:

Gavin Heaton said...

LOL ... and taking a leaf out of the Spicks and Specs book, this would make a very funny meme. Let me see if I can start it ;)

Anonymous said...

Matt,

You should get a copy of the Erving Goffman's classic book, "The presentation of self in everyday life". A good read and still with observations relevant for today's "serial killer" or "improv theatre dweller".