Monday, January 14, 2008

for the plebs

This post by James D reminds me of an experience I had doing KM at a global consulting firm. I was working with a colleague on a proposal toolkit - a set of templates and tools that consultants working on proposals for telco clients could use. It would basically say what we did and why that was great - so they could (hopefully) spend more time tailoring the proposal to the clients needs (because we never created cookie-cutter proposals, oh no).

Anyway she had gone to show this to one of the senior partners. And he had said: "That's of no interest to me, I never write proposals." The reply to this guy is obvious: "It's not for you, dickhead, it's to stop the 6 grads you've got writing these things 18 hours a day from going insane and popping a cap in your over-golfed ass."

This bloke obviously thought employee engagement* meant someone proposing to their PA. Though a fair bit of that happened too from what I recall. What is that turns middle-aged men with too much money into walking cliches?

*It might look like the postings on this blog are completely random but it's all connected. Connected, I tell you. Now about JFK and the moon landings...

No comments: