Monday, July 23, 2007

Bloggers - where are you when your country needs you!

Ross Dawson laments the level of blogging in Australia. I'm half-and-half on this one. As an immigrant in a nation of immigrants, I want Australia to be connected to the world yet separate from it. As I will rant about regularly (generally after the 5 beer mark), Australia is an "edge culture" - the end of the world. If you can't experiment & explore at the end of the world, then where can you do that kind of thing?

And it needs to play this to its best advantage. As Thomas Barlow has indicated, we need to export Australians like they are going out of fashion. And then we need them to come back. And bring their virtual networks with them.

Also I think that some types of social software are more applicable to Australian culture than others - wikis & RSS rather than blogs. And BTW Facebook is hitting Sydney big time...

Anyways, I have a meat pie to put on the barbie...

No comments: