Monday, July 16, 2007

Sexy Back?

A while ago, Kim asked if taxonomies were sexy? Now sexy is as sexy does (as my nanna might have said) and I am sure there are some people out there who find information structuring erotically charged. As a trained librarian, I find taxonomic structures interesting but I don't need a cold shower after getting busy with thesaurus terms.

Kim claims that Patrick Lambe has brought the sexy back to taxonomies. Now Patrick is one of the most thoughtful & balanced writers on KM around and a creator some very funny vodcasts, so I am prepared to give Kim the benefit of the doubt on this one. Patrick has written a book on taxonomies called Organising Knowledge. I am still waiting for my copy to arrive but initial hints look interesting. How taxonomies are used by employees, customers & other stakeholders is my primary interest here (although you obviously have to create something in the first place) and I think Patrick discusses that a fair bit.

If your blood pressure can stand it, Patrick will be in Sydney this month for an evening with the NSW KM Forum.

One of these men is a taxonomy expert - but which?

No comments: