Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Brainstorming (1): Background

A post on brainstorming as improv to an email list back in April has led to the kind offer of a slot at the ACT-KM Conference (plus bus fare if I have a bad run with the pokies in October). I am now putting together the session itself.

So I'm doing a little research into brainstorming at the moment. And the first thing I unearthed was this fantastic literature review done in 1998 by Scott Isaksen (god bless google). And here is SI in a podcast for Cranky Middle Managers* last year.

Bob Sutton makes the following point in Business Week:
Here's the problem: Most academic studies of brainstorming are rigorous, but
irrelevant to the challenge of managing creative work.

BS's 8 rules are also good. Bob is also a fan of IDEO - and Tom Kelley from IDEO offers 7 secrets & 6 mistakes in Fast Company from a while back.

Some themes that emerge are:
  • Brainstorming has actual rules that you need to follow.
  • Brainstorming is best used with a mix of individual & group activities - and with other creativity techniques.
  • Brainstorming requires skills & practice - and also a strong, independent facilitator.
  • Fear (of the boss, of the group) kills brainstorming.
  • Creativity happens before and after brainstorming as well as during.

These last two points tie into the wider issue of what makes a creative climate.

*Wayne Turmel correctly identifies that anyone who's taken an improv class fancies themselves as an expert in creativity.

7 comments:

Gavin Heaton said...

Does this mean that you will be famous now?
You know, I am not a great fan of brainstorming ... it can and does waste a great deal of time and the benefits are questionable. As a workshop technique, it can however, be a very good way of creating consensus amongst a disparate group.

I look forward to hearing some of your ideas on your approach to brainstorming and whether they have any impact on innovation ;)

Matt Moore said...

Gavin - Fame? Yes it's champagne & supermodels all the way from here on in. In fact, I'm so important, I really shouldn't be talking to you at all.

I'd like to hear more about your negative experiences with brainstorming. The more I reflect and read about it, the more it strikes me as a technique that requires a lot of preparation & care to make work effectively.

There will be future posts on brainstorming in preparation for the conference. And I would love you to play devil's advocate on them if you have the time...

Matt Moore said...

Gavin - I'd also like to know what techniques you prefer over brainstorming...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning our conversation with Scott Isaaksen. He was a great guest on The Cranky Middle Manager Show. We've also had several other guests who specialize in creativity and innovation including Ellen Weber, Sir Harold Evans and many others. We've done over 108 conversations with business leaders.

You'll also enjoy the Working Week Podcast interview (#17 I think) with Jurgen Wolff... check out http://workingweek.thepodcastnetwork.com

Matt Moore said...

Wayne - normally I would delete such a flagrantly, blatantly self-promotional comment (unless it was by me). But I like CMM so I'll be merciful. Keep on 'casting dude.

Anonymous said...

Brainstorming is just one tool for creative problem solving. Its strength is speed / quantity of ideas. It's not good for introspection. It's not good when you have people who think at different speeds (you'll bother both the slow and fast thinkers).

Before turning on the brainstorming button, make sure that: 1) You really understand what the problem (not the symptom) is and 2) That the problem isn't already classically solved elsewhere (no need to reinvent the wheel).

Matt Moore said...

Jay - Welcome! Definitely agree that brainstorming-like techniques are only applicable to certain problems.

Regarding people who think at different speeds. I think there's something there. But that can also be overcome if 1. people know each other & 2. outcomes are not bounded to the period when people are "doing" brainstorming.

As an introvert, hearing someone pour out ideas in the space of 60 mins will often cause me to ponder them overnight and come up with a big, long list of my own the next day. But I need that space to make my own connections.

Which is where the "preparation" bit came in. I don't think exhaustively planning a creativity session is much help. But recognising that some work before and after may help things is important.