Sunday, February 24, 2008

life-based learning - should my circus skills course be funded by my employer?

Currently I spend my Tuesdays playing with silks, juggling balls and the trapeze. I am officially the world's worst juggler (I struggle to juggle one ball, let alone three) whereas I am surprisingly relaxed on the trapeze (possibly down to my poorly developed sense of self-preservation). My employer would probably fork out tens of thousands of dollars for an MBA but wouldn't hand over 200 bucks for this course - which I would argue has lots of workplace applications.

Reflecting on life-based learning, I'm not sure if I want my employer to see me as a whole person. I want to stay hidden, thank you very much. At the same time, it would be nice if the various employers I have had would acknowledge that my life outside work has been beneficial to them. The acting course I did a few years back had a major impact on my approach to facilitating & presenting.

There has been a shift to talking about user-centred learning (UCL) and personalised learning environments (PLE). Whilst a welcome shift from just force-feeding people courses, a lot of the discussion around UCL/PLE avoids the thorny topic of control. User-centred is not the same as user-owned.I suspect there is often a co-dependent relationship between employees and their managers within many organisations:
"We don't want to give control over your learning because we don't trust you. In fact we see training as primarily a tool for us to shape your behaviour to our vision."
"I don't want you to give me control over my own learning. Then I wouldn't be able to blame you for my lack of development and growth."

I don't think life-based learning is the answer to personal and organisational development but I am interested in perspectives that broaden the debate.

What do you think?

7 comments:

the vampire's dream said...

i am currently in an org, where we have put together a structure whereby we can spend an amount of money (based on last years performance review) for the person to go and do whatever learning they like... be it a photography course, knitting, programming, whatever... (as long as it not iffy ethically) - this model is fantastic... it has a financial allowance that encourages the person to learn outside their daily work requirements - making them a fuller person... and in the long term, bringing a fuller person to the role hence enabling them to perform the work at hand better anyway!

Anonymous said...

You have got to be kidding. How self-centred must you be to expect your employer to pay for you to learn to juggle. No wonder your employment is coming to an end, leading me to believe that, no, they would not have forked out tens of thousands for YOU to do an MBA.

Matt Moore said...

Anonymous - I am SO not kidding. And I am extremely self-centred. And egotistical.

What was your point again?

Anonymous said...

Then I suggest you add to your "About" the following:
"I am not as good as I think I am"

Matt Moore said...

Easy with the flirting there, anonymous.

You want me.

Just admit it.

Anonymous said...

Not if you can only juggle one ball at a time.

Matt Moore said...

Anonymous - are you Frankie Howerd?

If one ball is good enough for me, then it's good enough for you.

Now enough of pulling my pigtails and then running away.

Say something interesting.