Tuesday, February 12, 2008

social network analysis fun & games (1)

Currently playing with various SNA tools:

  • NetDraw - download it for free and have a play. I've pretty much got my head round the VNA data format and it generates cute pictures such as this:

  • Maje offers nifty 3D visualisations of social networks like this*:

  • And now I am wrestling with UCInet. Whereas NetDraw gives you lots of pretty pictures, UCInet is all about social network ANALYSIS. The screen shots from UCInet would involve lots of numbers formatted in ASCII text. Not so much fun, oh no. Get your harcore SNA jollies here.

*My only beef with Maje is that whilst 3D visualisations look cool, they are pretty much useless from an analytics perspective.

2 comments:

Kate Morrison said...

Hi, great blog.

I would be interested in any more info you can provide on maje.

I have searched for it (perhaps not hard enough!) but have not been able to find a download site.

Any info you can provide would be much appreciated, as it does make pretty pictures!

Thanks
Kate

Matt Moore said...

Hi Katee - Maje comes packaged with UCInet (along with NetDraw & Pajek) when you download that. Give it a try.