Monday, February 18, 2008

no touching

Patrick writes about touch. There is a hierarchy of senses in organisations. Sight is number one. Then hearing. Then smell and taste. And finally touch. The further we get from written language (semantic, numeric or diagrammatic) the less trustworthy the senses become.

Touch is the only sense that does not occur at a distance. Touch implies intent - when it's accidental we jump. An intent of contact and intimacy. It is less open to obfuscation than the other senses - "I didn't mean to see/hear that" won't cut it with touch. Which is one reason I think we tend to avoid it within organisations - we often need a get-out clause in our communications.

As Coleman Yee indicates in the post comments, touch can be all about power and abuse - "you have no choice but to accept my physical contact". We want our touches to be accepted by others, so touch can be about risk - the risk of being brushed aside, of our actions being interpreted as inappropriate or just plain wrong.

There's a gender issue here too. Touch between heterosexual men is tightly circumscribed. I'm not a big fan of group hugs.

Patrick, I think touch may be too close for us to handle. Certainly too unpredictable for our rigid change management methodologies and measurement systems.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You sound like you need a hug. C'mon over here.

*hugs*

Now, didn't that feel good?

Matt Moore said...

AHHHHHH!!!!!

Patrick Lambe said...

I don't think it's true that the senses get less trustworthy the further they get from text... I think it is more true to say that they are less organisationally trusted, which doesn;t mean they are not used, just that the organisation chooses to pretend they don't matter, while turning a blind eye to their deployment.

And heteresexual men in India might disagree with your touchaphobic statements :)

What I was after in this post was to get at some sense of how organisations (and knowledge managers) can recognise knowledge as embodied.. because unless we do, we will continue to miss most of the plot around managing knowledge on large scales.

Matt Moore said...

Patrick - the "less trustworthy in organisations" was kinda what I was aiming for (I didn't mean it on a personal level). And yes, the Indian male comment is correct (one Western dude asked me if all Indian men were gay upon seeing their behaviour) - but I am not Indian.

So how do we recognise knowledge as "embodied"? Your post asked a lot of questions but didn't seem to offer much in the way of answers.

Patrick Lambe said...

Lol... that was the point Matt - some questions need brewing in a blogospheric stew for a while, the most interesting answers are slow-cooked! Coming from a poet, I'm surprised at the apparent urge for instant gratification... ;)

Matt Moore said...

Patrick - If I was patient I'd be a novelist. We can let this one slow cook by all means. Matt