Monday, February 18, 2008

ties & uses

In Andrew McAfee's Enterprise 2.0 presentation, he talks about the circle of ties that we have - something like this (N.B. This is all second-hand as I wasn't there): [click on image for big version]
Moving from strong ties (family, close friends) to weak ties (acquaintances, that chick from line dancing) to potential ties (a stranger being a friend you haven't met yet) to no ties. Andrew then positioned different technologies as being relevant to different tie situations - e.g. enterprise wikis work well with strong ties. Now my interpretation of this is that different forms of social software such as blogs, wikis, etc, work differently (and in some cases not at all) depending on context. The kinds of relationships that users have with each other are a critical part of that context. These are, after all, first and foremost relationship technologies. So my version of Andrew's circles ends up looking like this: [click on image for big version]


I have left a few tools - bookmarking, media (which includes Flickr, YouTube & podcasts) and Presence (Twitter, IM, SMS) to one side because I think they go all over the place - but where they go defines how they are used and what they mean.

So event attendees - have I got this right or wrong?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry but I can't really read the images - particularly your version. Do you have larger versions?

Matt Moore said...

Freakin' Blogger - Yeah - I'll upload some biggies tomorrow.

Matt Moore said...

Big pics now available on click-thru

Anonymous said...

Not bad Matt and good to see that you have tought a bit more about it.
I think that wikipedia is a bit more expanded than what you have - some of the best wiki raids I have seen is from people who have strong ties who can then change a page en masse.
But the essence of McAfee's stuff is there. More when I get a chance to blog on it myself.